In partnership with the Maine Memory Network Maine Memory Network

Belfast Free Library

American House Hotel, Belfast, ca. 1875

Contributed by Belfast Free Library
MMN Item 98724 Item Details
American House Hotel, Belfast, ca. 1875
MMN Item 98724 Zoom

Description

In 1825 the American House Hotel opened on Main Street as the Eagle Hotel. Originally, there were twenty-seven sleeping rooms, a bar-room, sitting room, and a dining room. On the second floor was a large social hall used for balls and dancing schools. In 1838, the hotel was renamed the American House and it underwent major renovations in the 1840s. The building burned on July 12, 1885 and the Oddfellows building was built on the former hotel site.

View additional information about this item on the Maine Memory Network.